Become a Group Exercise Instructor
Develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours to professionally prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective group exercise programmes within a gym, health club or outdoor environment within the context of Exercise to Music (Freestyle) or Circuit Training. Completing these qualifications allows learners to access jobs instructing group exercise classes/sessions for their chosen discipline.
What will I learn on the Group Exercise Instructor course?
What will I be able to do by the end of the course?
- Show understanding of anatomy & physiology and how it relates to exercise and fitness;
- Present yourself in a professional manner, provide excellent customer service and demonstrate effective communication skills.
- Provide a positive customer experience to ensure exercise equipment meets health and safety requirements;
- Promote a healthy and active lifestyle which includes the important of healthy eating and offering behaviour change strategies to support clients to adopt behaviours that will help prevent a range of health conditions;
- Plan and safely deliver effective group exercise sessions in the context of circuit training OR exercise to music (freestyle) for a range of participants with your scope of practice. This including demonstrating effective communication to engage and fully support participants.
What are the qualification units and how are each assessed?
Unit 1 - Anatomy & physiology for exercise and fitness instructors - assessed via a multiple choice theory exam and digital assessment workbook;
Unit 2 - Providing a positive customer experience in the exercise environment - assessed via a digital assessment workbook and observation (video submission);
Unit 3 - Lifestyle and health awareness management - assessed via a digital assessment workbook;
Unit 4 - Principles of planning and delivering group exercise - assessed via a worksheet
Unit 5 - Plan and deliver group circuit training OR Plan and delivery group exercise to music (freestyle) - assessed via a worksheet, session planning and observation of practical teaching
What can I progress on to after this course?
Level 2 Gym Instructing
What topics are covered during the course?
- Anatomy & physiology to include the circulatory system, respiratory system, anatomical terminology, the skeletal system, joints, the muscular system, digestive system, energy systems, implications for special populations and the nervous system.
Study & Assessment Options
This qualification is offered as an ONLINE/DISTANCE LEARNING course.
You can start studying straight away.
All students have up to 12 months to complete and pass all assessments in order to achieve the qualification. All assessments can be completed and submitted remotely, including online exams and video submission for practical observations.
What course materials and support will I receive?
Online Learning Course
Online elearning for units 1, 2 and 3,
Course textbook for units 4 and 5,
Electronic assessment paperwork for all units,
Link to further presentations and mock exams.
Access to a personal tutor.
Access to our study support Facebook group.
Ability to book theory exams on a date to suit you using our book an assessment form (updated every month) or complete in your workplace if you are unable to attend our assessment centre.
Full guidance on how to film and submit video assessments