Become a Personal Trainer
This YMCA Awards Level 3 Personal Training (Practitioner) qualification is for anyone wishing to become a personal trainer and work with clients on a 1-2-1 basis or in small groups.
Our flexible courses including online learning, can be started upon enrolment. This qualification also awards 10 CIMSPA points and 20 REPs points.
What will I learn on the Personal Trainer course?
What will I be able to do by the end of the course?
Understand essential anatomy & physiology a personal trainer requires for application to exercise programming and design for a range of clients,
Understand commonly occurring medically controlled diseases and health conditions to enable you to effectively provide appropriate information advice and support clients through effective interaction,
Design and deliver health and fitness programmes suitable to a client's goals and level of fitness,
Develop a successful professional personal training practice by applying effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Understand key nutritional principles and healthy eating to support client goals.
Analyse client nutritional intake in order to offer advice within scope of practice and integrate into fitness programme design.
Establish a business in either an employed or self-employed position.
Gain a firm foundation for successful growth by focusing upon ways of both attracting and retaining clients.
Develop confidence using kettlebells, resistance bands and Olympic barbells (LIVE course only).
What topics are covered on the course?
Applied anatomy & physiology including;
- optimal posture, causes of postural deviations and spinal conditions and the impact of exercise,
- structure and function of the skeletal system and the effects of exercise on the musculoskeletal system and disease processes,
- structure and function of the nervous system and the effect of exercise on neuromuscular connections,
- structure and function of the cardio-respiratory system and endocrine system ,
- classification of energy systems and how they are utilised during exercise.
Promoting wellness including;
- components of a healthy lifestyle,
- psychological factors that can influence change to an individual's lifestlye,
- health conditions and medically controlled diseases,
- evidence based pre-exercise health screening methods,
- theories/approaches that can motivate positive behaviour change,
Bespoke exercise programme design including;
- screening clients,
- selecting and implementing client assessments,
- methods of static and dynamic assessment and posture assessment,
- setting and adapting SMART goals linked to client's individual needs, wants and motivators,
- planning a safe personal training programme with clients,
- using alternative environments in programme design (home, office, garage, outdoors, gyms, studios),
- design and delivery of small group personal training.
Customised exercise programme instruction including;
- fitness training techniques including various CV and resistance training methods,
- legal and ethical responsibilities,
- best practice for a personal trainer,
- planning and preparing personal training sessions,
- safely instructing, monitoring, adapting and supporting clients during sessions,
Nutrition to support physical activity including;
- principles of nutrition,
- the influence of nutrition on health,
- key nutritional guidelines and evidence-based recommendations and how they can be applied to individual clients,
- the relationship between nutrition and physical activity,
- collecting and using nutritional information,
- identify and analysing nutritional information to identify client's dietary habits.
Business acumen including;
- marketing strategies and techniques in planning and promotion,
- selling personal training services to clients,
- communicating the benefits of a personal training service,
- components and the purpose of a business plan relevant to a personal trainer,
- how to legally set up a business as a personal trainer,
- financial requirements when setting up and running a health and fitness business,
- planning, marketing and selling health and fitness services.
ADDITIONAL BONUS CONTENT EXCLUSIVE TO FIT4TRAINING:
What is the entry requirement for this course?
A recognised Level 2 Gym Instructor qualification is required in order to complete this course and confidence working online and using programmes such as word and excel.
What are the course units and how are each assessed?
Unit 1 - Applied anatomy & physiology - assessed via a multiple choice exam and online assessment workbook
Unit 2 - Promoting wellness through client motiviation and interaction - assessed via an online assessment workbook and client consultation, lifestyle assessment, client profile and knowledge questions.
Unit 3 - Bespoke exercise programme design - assessed via an online assessment workbook, client consultation, lifestyle assessment, client profile, knowledge questions, a log and observation of a range of client assessments, and a 12 week personal training programme.
Unit 4 - Customised exercise programme instruction and communication techniques - assessed via an online assessment workbook, a 12 week personal training programme, demonstrating the instruction of a range of CV, resistance, functional exercise, core and flexibility/mobility methods, and delivery of a small group personal training session.
Unit 5 - Nutrition to support physical activity - assessed via a multiple choice exam and nutritional consultation.
Unit 6 - Business acumen for a successful personal training practice - assessed via a digital assessment workbook and business and marketing plan.
Please note, some of the above assessments require video submission of which you will receive full guidance.
Study & Assessment Options
This qualification is offered as an ONLINE course, which you can start studying straight away.
This ONLINE course includes online elearning for all units plus video submission for assessments. It is possible to sit your exams in your workplace should you not be able to attend our assessment centre in Telford, Shropshire.
GYM & PT (Practitioner)
YMCA Level 3 Gym Instructing and Personal Training (Practitioner) for those who don't already have a recognised Gym Instructor qualification.
What course materials and support will I receive?
- Online elearning for all units -access for 300 days,
Electronic assessment paperwork for all units,
Link to further presentations and mock exams,
Option to purchase hard copy manuals to supplement the elearning.
Access to a personal tutor.
Access to our study support Facebook Group.
Ability to complete exams online from home - for more information, please read our E-Proctored exam guidance.
Alternatively, you can sit theory exams at our centre in Telford on a date to suit you using our book an assessment form (updated every month),
Full guidance on how to film and submit video assessments.